Sunday, January 11, 2009

Challenge 1

Here is the very first Scap Sistaz Challenge Layout:




And here is the layout that I created.






I think that the original layout used patterned paper with ornaments printed on it, and then the scrapper cut out some of the ornaments and added ribbons, strings and brads. And it went well with her picture of the Christmas tree and other assorted pics of different sizes. Well, I don't have that paper, I don't use brads or ribbons, and I didn't have a picture of a Christmas tree for this layout!

What I did was use some round Christmas-themed stickers that I had and tried to make them look like ornaments. I think they came out ok. I used pre-cut paper strips for the line and the scallops. I don't have a cricut (waaahhh!) so I used a gel pen and tried to copy the type-style for the title since I liked it.

What I liked about doing this layout was that it forced me to really notice some things that the creator did, that I wouldn't otherwise think about if I just saw this in a magazine and thought to myself "I wish that I could do great pages like that."

-I never would have lined up the pictures across the page this way. Yet by doing this I was able to get a lot of photos in and still have ample room for the cute embellishments, titles, and journaling. I usually run out of space just trying to cram 6 pictures on a 2 page spread.

-The "line" that cuts the page in two is not in the middle of the page, it is off-center horizontally. I know that is a norm of design but unless I think about it I would naturally divide the space into equal pieces.

-Repeating the ornaments in the lower half of the layout is what really brings it together. The way that she framed it with the red ones appears intentional as well, to good effect.


I really enjoyed doing this, and I think these exercises are going to make me a better scapbooker! Thank you Tina, I look forward to the next Challenge!

5 comments:

  1. Great Layout!!!

    OMG...I cannot believe that you did that title yourself. You have wonderful handwriting.
    Way to get your fist challenge done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mindy it looks awesome! Who needs a Cricut when you can write like that!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mindy, I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Mindy! LOVE, LOVE, love how you ad-libbed the page elements to make them work for you!!! The title looks AMAZING... you have a talent with lettering! I would have never guessed that wasn't done with some sort of cutting machine! You knocked it out of the park! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great use of all those pictures. Now you have the family all in one place. Great Job! On to Challenge #2.

    ReplyDelete

Sistaz Sayz: